Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page
Researched by Margaret Craddock

Extracts from Church Magazines 1893-1973


After nearly 50 years of excellent work done in the Schools of Luton and Burton Latimer, David Bourdas Stalker entered into rest on the 4th of February, 1893, in his 71st year, endeared to all who knew him in either parish.  At his School here he worked indefatigably, until increasing deafness and the shock to his constitution caused by a serious operation upon the eye, necessitated retirement and rest.

The regard in which he was held at Burton by all classes, Churchmen and Nonconformists alike, was as remarkable as it was exceptional.  Liberal to a fault, regardless of time and trouble, he befriended all who sought his assistance and advice; and it is well known that not seldom his open-handed generosity cost him dear.  But he felt, like many of us, that he would rather be imposed upon himself fifty times than risk the sending empty away one really deserving applicant.


We have to remind our friends that their annual subscriptions for 1894 are now due, and will be gratefully received, and the sooner the better, in order to keep down the interest of the borrowed money.

The Architect’s accounts show a total expenditure of £1,226, which sum includes sundry internal fittings and the external fences and walls.  The debt now due (January 1894) is £800.  To wipe this off the Building Committee will be glad to receive the donations of property owners and occupiers, in addition to the promised annual subscriptions.

H M Inspectors, at their recent visit, expressed themselves greatly pleased with the ample accommodation, the way it has been provided, and the apparent excellence of the Builder’s work.


From 115 applications the Managers have selected Mr J Boardman to succeed Mr Vickers in the mastership.  Mr Boardman’s testimonials are of a very high order, and we have no doubt but that he will continue the good work done by his predecessors.  Mr Boardman has been Head Master of the Hucknall Huthwaite Schools, near Mansfield, since 1882, Mixed School till June 1891, and Boys’ School of 330 places since, leaving a larger sphere owing to the transformation of the schools.  Mr Boardman commences work after the holidays.


With a feeling of thankfulness we are now able to announce that the £1200 required has all been paid into the Bank. . . . It will be seen that the whole of the £1200 has not been expended: this is due to the fact that all the rooms are not yet used for school purposes, so that furniture and apparatus expenses are not very heavy; the balance in hand (£46 15s 4d) will ultimately be required when the need arises for using the large room for day school purposes.  The school is well attended, and has proved a great boon to little ones at the Finedon end of the parish.


Day School:  Master, Mr J Boardman     Infants’ Mistress, Mrs Stalker

Finedon Road Infants’ School:  Mistress, Miss Smith


Mr E Carter, Assistant Master, has been appointed Head Master of Fenny Benton School, Ashbourne.  We heartily congratulate Mr Carter on his well-earned promotion, though we shall be very sorry to lose him.  Mr Carter was elected to his present post on July 6th 1896, and his work in Burton Latimer will be gratefully remembered.


A meeting of School Managers was held on Wednesday evening, November 20th.  Present: - The Rector, Rev H Priestland, Messrs Preston, A J Ball, T Bird, Maycock, J Capps, C Fox and F G Ball.  Absent: - Messrs Attfield and Talbutt.  The Rector reported that Miss Smith had, with regret, tendered her resignation as assistant in the Infants’ School, and that Miss Ball had also given notice to resign her post.  The scholars on the books numbered 374 compared with 349 a year ago.  It was decided to top dress the playgrounds at the Mixed School, and Mr Preston kindly promised to give two truck loads of material for the purpose.  Attention was called to the fact that the eastern wall of the Mixed School, built 30 years ago, was showing signs of subsidence, due, it was thought, to the deep excavation for the sewer in the street.  Annual subscriptions are due in December, and should be paid to Mr A J Ball before the 31st inst.  Donors of 2/6 or more each year are entitled to vote for the election of any subscriber of 5/- or more whenever a vacancy occurs on the committee of management.


Day School:  Master, Mr J Boardman     Infants’ Mistress, Mrs Stalker

Finedon Road Infants’ School:  Mistress, Miss Tookey


At a meeting of School Managers held on Tuesday, October 9th, a letter was read from Mrs Stalker resigning her post as Mistress of the Infant School at the end of the year.  The resignation was received with much regret, for the children under Mrs Stalker’s care and teaching have always obtained excellent reports.  Many applications for the post had been received, and after careful consideration the Managers decided to appoint Miss Elizabeth Drew, at present in S May’s Infant School, Kettering. It may be remembered that Miss Drew was in our Schools for nearly four years some little time ago.  Since then she has had a large experience in an Infant School with an average attendance of 500 in Birmingham and for the last year or more in Kettering, where the average attendance is 350.  Miss Drew enters in her duties after the Christmas holidays.


Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to Mrs Talbutt, her daughter, and Miss Talbutt in their sad bereavement.  For 35 years George James Talbutt taught in day schools; for 14 years he was headmaster of our own Church School; for many years he was superintendent of our Sunday School.  Thousands of boys and girls must have passed through his hands, and that he was worthy of his great trust was shown by the large attendance at his funeral, the many tokens of respect, and the reverent behaviour of the children who came to see their dearly loved headmaster laid to rest. . . .


We must congratulate our new Headmaster, Mr Gerald Cleaver, on obtaining his BSc.  Mr Cleaver will begin his work assisted by two new lady teachers, Miss Metcalfe and Miss Freeman, and we wish them every happiness in their school life.


The Day School, as you know, has been completely re-organised.  It is no longer an “all-age”, but a junior school.  New books and new furniture are being provided, and a great deal of preparation has remained for its changed status.  The numbers will be much the same – between 110 and 120 – but there will be distinct advantages for the children who remain.  When the Managers knew that the change was inevitable they sought a Headmaster especially qualified to teach juniors, and in Mr Gerald Cleaver, BSc, they found such a head.  A large number of children will now spend their last two junior years in his class, and I need not emphasise the great help that will be to those preparing for the scholarship examination.  Nevertheless, it is with a sad heart that we watch the Seniors – all over 11 years – leave their old school.


Mr Gerald Cleaver BSc, will soon be leaving the parish to take up his duties at his important new school, Milford Junior, Nottingham.  There he will be responsible for a much larger staff and an increasing number of children.  . . . 

Mrs D M Smith leaves us after many years of devoted service, and we wish her peace and happiness in her well-earned retirement.

Both Mrs Smith and Mr Cleaver have received tokens of good-will and affection from children and parents, and they wish me to express their gratitude to any whom they have not been able to thank personally.  Such changes are always rather sad, but the future of our School will be safe in the hands of our new Headmaster, Mr W K Pringle, BA who in due course will be living in the parish.


To have been retired for 33 years is quite an achievement; Mr Dawes was a grand old man and a pleasure to visit, and even up to the time he went into hospital one could always have a lively discussion on current affairs.   From all that I have heard of him, his influence as a schoolmaster in Burton Latimer for 33 years was quite considerable and many people owe a lot to his influence.  . . .


At the end of this term on July 10th this school will lose by retirement one of its most loyal and value staff, Mrs Hart.  She will be familiar to very many Burton Latimer people.  During her 15 years service here she has given an excellent start to life to over 600 children. . . .

JULY 1973

The appointment of Mrs D E Edwards as Headmistress of the Church Day School as from commencement of the new term in September has been announced.  Mrs Edwards who has considerable teaching experience is at present teaching at Uppingham C of E Primary School. . . . 

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Education Index