|To help find the information you may be looking for, try here:
Burton Latimer Heritage Society has received a £2000 grant from the Burton Wold Wind Farm Fund through the Northamptonshire Community Foundation to upgrade the equipment used to produce this website. This grant has meant that the website group has been able to buy new laptops to replace the ten-year-old Windows XP and Vista machines used until now and to replace the outdated web program with one that will enable the site to be tablet and smartphone-friendly. The Society is very grateful to NCF for providing the funds to enable this upgrade to take place. The old machines and programs will still have to be used until the website group becomes familier with the new laptops and software.
A very small number of pages may be inaccessible during our attempts to merge two systems for which we apologise in advance.
||To read about the Society's DVD and the Burton Latimer House Histories book, click here.
- 13-06-2018 - Why a Church Street family went to the pictures on a Monday night is explained here. More information about 'Pateman's Corner' has been added to the Retail section here and a photograph added in connection with Cyril Swan, the barber, here. Ollie Beach's hobby is described here in the People section and the story of three boys and an unattended lorry here.
- 06-06-2018 - The list of Parish, Urban District and Town Council chairpersons has been brought up to date in the Brief History of Burton Latimer section here. Charlotte Newsome (nee Bryant) has helped with Mrs. Cleaver's class 1975 and an early 1980s concert group at meadowside Infants. A report of of a 1900 motoring accident in Station Road is here.
- 24.05.2018 - The minutes of Burton Latimer Heritage Society's 2018 AGM are in the About Us section. More details have been added to the 'Strudwick Family - Showmen' page here in the Sport & Leisure section, also in that section is a minor addition here to the Gala parade Days 1948-1960 pages. The controversy surrounding a planning decision affecting Bakehouse Lane in 1998 is here in the History section and a report on the removal of a cracked church bell in 1976 here in the Church & Chapel section.
- 18.05.2018 - Articles on Vic Bellamy and Denis Hornsby have been added to the People section. Additions have been made to the Police Gallery and Police References pages regarding Police Sergeant Syd Richardson.William Clipson's family story is here in the People section.
- 02.05.2018 - Many familiar Burton Latimer family names can be found in the ET report of the 1939 Gala Parade and Sports prize lists here
- 25.04.2018 - An account of why, in 1910, it was necessary for a cricketer to phone home is here in the Sport & Leisure Section. The news that a telephone had been installed at Burton Latimer station hit the headlines here in 1929. The 1983 retirement and tragic death of Dr. Jonathan Bird is here in the Emergency Services Section and the theft of Jim Aveling's racing bike in 1979 is here in the People Section. Some minor additions have been made to the Shoe Industry Introduction here.
- 16.04.2018 - More additions have been made to the Schooldays Gallery - Margaret Sewell pages and Emma (Perkins) Jeffrey has helped with some names. Mrs. Phillips class 1993 has also been amended.
- 09.04.2018 - Snippets about a 1922 local election, the 1935 Gala and departure of a Baptist Minister in 1899 have been added. Further 1980s Meadowside Infants photographs have been added to the Schooldays Gallery - Margaret Sewell collection
- 28.03.2018 - A sequel to the 1909 Coffe Tavern fire is here in Crime Section. Last year, Margaret Sewell, formerly head at Meadowside Infants', donated a collection of photographs. Some of these have now been used to start the Schooldays Gallery - Margaret Sewell collection
- 21.03.2018 - Robert Pearce has given us a Coronation party photo taken at the Horse & Groom pub in 1953.
- 14.03.2018 - Teresa Moisey has provided some names on a 1954 Council Infants photo here and Jason Smith has given us a photo and some names of a Meadowside Infants class dated 1974/5. A newspaper report about the relocation of the war memorial is here in the War Section
- 21.02.2018 - A court case concerning Sunday drinking at the "Round House" is here in the Crime section. An addition has been made to the account by The Very Revd. Derek Hole's account of his time as Rector. The contents of a house sale in 1890 (including a gymnasium) is here in the Property Section.
- 07.02.2018 - The report of a fire at the Coffee Tavern in 1909 is here in the Crime & Emergency Services Section. John Meadows' obituary is here in the People Section and a report of a 1967 rate increase here in the History & Development Section
- 01.02.2018 - A page with newspaper reports of WW1 Military Tribunals involving Burton Latimer men has been added to the War Section here
- 28.01.2018 - More name have been added to Meadowside Infants - Mrs. Elliott's Class of 1977 which is now almost complete. Nearly forty names from the 1950s are on the photograph of the Burton Latimer Male Voice choir here in the Sport & Liesure Section
- 18.01.2018 - Inputting has started again after the Christmas and New Year break. Following emails from Mary Deehan (nee Lally - Australia) the Council Infants 1954-5 photo has been updated and Joanne Hillyard (nee Drage) and Liz Martin have been able to update St. Mary's Infants c1976 with several new names. In the People Section we have added Miss Elsie Hobbs, who taught at the Church Infants School for all her working life.
- 14.12.2017 - Newspaper reports about the arrival of Church Army Captain Cooke is here in the Churches Section and a very recent article about body-builder Kieron Kevan here in the Sports & Leisure Section.
- 29.11.2017 - Details of a High Street slum clearance inquiry held in 1935 is here in the Property Section. The Crime and Emergency Services Section has reports on a St John Ambulance competition here, and a motor-car accident in which the rector was involved is here. A charge of assault by a police constable on a drinker is also in the Crime & Emergency Section here.
- 26.11.2017 - A close Gala Queen contest in 1961 is described here in the Sport & Leisure section.
- 16.11.2017 - A description of our former Georgian Rectory has been added to the Churches Section. Pownall's Corner has been added to the History and Development section under 'Changes to the High Street'. Thanks to Helen Revett, nearly all the names of Mrs Cleaver's Meadowside Infants 1982 class have been filled in.
- 08.11.2017 - Our Local Links page has been reviewed and several links to Burton Latimer businesses and organisations seem to be broken and so have been removed. These include Abbeyboard, Alumasc, Robanna, Style Lounge, Simpson & Partners, BL Photographic Society, BL Tennis Club, St. Mary's School and Lloyds Pharmacy. We know some of these have changed hands but if any of the above, or others (Burton-based) not yet on the site, still wish to be included, please contact us.
- 01.11.2017 - The story behind Burton Latimer's recreation ground, "TheRec", is told here in the History Section. Details of our 2018 exhibitions at the museum have been added to the About Us page
- 27.10.2017 - A 1961 newspaper article outlining plans for Burton Latimer's future growth has been added to the History Section here. Additions and corrections have been made to the list of First World War casualities and the Roll of Honour.
- 23.10.2017 - It was Danielle Brown who supplied the names of Mis Garner's Meadowside Junior Class of 1998 and now other names have been added. Another picture from the Illustrated Police News has been added to Louisa Johnson murder page.
- 11.10.2017 - "Our Village Lives" a book by Sally Szymanski (nee Smith) about growing up in Little Harrowden includes a chapter about Bungalow Farm, Station Road, which has been added to the Agriculture Section. Kate Smith has kindly supplied nearly all the names of a Meadowside Junior School class of 1998 and Debra English has corrected some errors in Mr. White's class of 1969
- 28.09.2017 - Thanks to the Revd. Bill Hornsby an account of his boyhood and his family at 149 High Street has been added to the People pages under Hornsby Family. Thanks to Mick Lewis new names have been added to these school photographs: Council Infants class 1958; Miss Ireson's class early 1960s and Miss Clipson's class 1961-2
- 15.09.2017 - Thanks to Adam Cann, two East Lea St. Mary's photographs have been added. Mr. Wareham's class 1987/88 and the East Lea football team 1989/90. To see our huge range of school photographs go to the school class photo introduction and index here
- 08.09.2017 - Major additions have been made to the street names page in the History Section which reflect the growth of the town.
- 03.09.2017 - A news story involving the weathercock at The Poplars has been aded to the Crime pages and alterations to the Weetabix story here
- 24.08.2017 - A 1957 article on the Coles footwear group youth training scheme is here in the Industry section. An angry letter to the Evening Telegraph about a threat to Burton's morals in 1939 is here in the History section.
- 20.08.2017 - How Cranford Road nearly got a pub is here in the Pubs & Clubs pages. The BLHS Facebook page "Burton Latimer Heritage" now has 250 members
- 09.08.2017 - In the light of new information found when preparing for the next exhibition at the museum, the Mills of Burton Latimer page has been updated again.
- 02.08.2017 - Gala parade days of the 1960s with details of the Gala Queens and their attendants have been added here and additions to the Mills of Burton Latimer here
- 28.07.2017 - The Emergency & Welfare Services introduction page has had an item about a village nurse added here and the Miller Family page has been updated here
- 19.07.2017 - Thanks to Chris Sayles two more East Lea Juniors (1970 - 82) class photographs have been added to the school photograph pages here - go to to the bottom left-hand side of the page to open them. Dates and names are needed.
- 29.06.2017 - "How Burton Grew" is a 1923 newspaper article on the town's past and future here in the History section; there are three additions to Sport & Leisure Section: the opening of the Constitutional Hall (1892) is here and "Vic Cole - Double bass player" (1939) and Barry Noble recording artist (1960s/70s) have been added to the list of musicians
- 23.06.2017 - Two local boxing references, over a hundred years apart, have been added to the Sport and Leisure section. Two 2017 boy champions, Ellis Panter and Brandon Strand here and Tom Miller in the early 1900s here. Check out the Sport & Leisure Index for other sports you may have missed.
- 14.06.2017 - The Case of the Dead Rooks has been added to the Crime pages here
- 01.06.2017 - Mrs. Elliott's Meadowside Infants class of 1977 has been added to the school photographs here and an addition made to the Mail Coach page here A report on Feast Week in 1892 is now in the Sport & Leisure pages here Additions to the Crime pages include theft from the Church School headmaster's house here and a row between the landlord of the Waggon & Horses and a customer here
- 15.05.2017 - A court action in 1938 against two prominent businessmen is here in the Property Section. Tony Dacre has provided details of the WW1 death of Cyril Foster here in the War Section
- 11.05.2017 - The misdemeanours of a Red Cow landlord are here in the Pubs and Clubs Section. Ownership details of High Street properties in 1801 are here in the Property Section.
- 27.04.2017 - Three County Junior School photos: Mr Garley and Mr White's classes from 1969 and the netball team of 1971-2 have been added to the Education Section. A report of a serious clothing factory fire in 1913 is here.
- 24.04.2017 - A report about a Wallis's Mill wagon driver's fatal accident in 1902 can be found here and an ex-police sergeant's action that prevented a potential accident in 1957 is here Additions have been made to pages about the Boys' Brigade in 1939 and the Britannia Band in 1892.
- 14.04.2017 - A circa 1980/81 Christmas photograph from Meadowside Infants has been added to the Schooldays Gallery 3 page here. Thanks to the Burton Latimer Heritage Facebook Group, members have already supplied the names - but please check it out. Iris Sharman's recent award of the MBE is featured here in the People pages. A rather rose-tinted view of the life of the Northamptonshire "peasant" in 1872, which mentions Burton Latimer, is here in the History Section.
- 30.03.2017 - Burton Latimer Heritage Society now has a presence on Facebook! In an effort to bring our society, museum and website to a larger audience Linda Gregory has volunteered to administer our Facebook pages 'Burton Latimer Heritage'. Please take a look and join for day-to-day contact with fellow members. Ian hebden is working on the transition from our old Adobe GoLive web design program to the Xara program we bought last summer. To put it mildly, it's not without its problems!
- A photo of the Burton Latimer Britannia Workings Mens' Club 1907-8 football team has been added here in the Sport & Liesure pages.
- 07.03.2017 - Thanks to John Lack, additions have been made to a Council School Class 4 1951-2 photo here. How Burton Latimer celebrated the end of the Crimean War in 1856 is here in the Leisure Section.
- 10.02.2017 - A newspaper article on the license application of Mr Alfred Kitely in 1881 can be seen here in the Pubs and Clubs section. Some details about early district nurses have been added here in the Health introduction pages.
- 26.01.2017 - The surprising fact that Burton Latimer once had a Hockey Club is here in the Sport & Leisure pages and the sad case of George Cook, killed by a coal cart is here in the Crime & Emergency Services pages.
- 21.01.2017 - Kate Earl has kindly sent in several photographs from Meadowside School and updates to other photos for the 1986 - 91 years. Please take a look at the starred items in the School photos introduction page and add more names if you can please.
|To read the project news for 2016 click here
|To read the project news for the years 2014 & 2015 click here
|To read the project news for the years 2012 & 2013 click here
|To read the project news for the years 2010 & 2011 click here
|To read the project news for the year 2009 click here
|To read the project news for the years 2007 & 2008, click here
|To read the project news for the years 2005 & 2006, click here