To read about the Society's DVD and the Burton Latimer House Histories book, click here.
|To help find the information you may be looking for, try our
Burton Latimer Heritage Society has received a £2000
grant from the Burton Wold Wind Farm Fund through the Northamptonshire Community Foundation to upgrade the
equipment used to produce this website. This grant has
meant that the website group has been able to buy new
laptops to replace the ten-year-old Windows XP and Vista
machines used until now and to replace the outdated web
program with one that will enable the site to be tablet and
smartphone-friendly. The Society is very grateful to NCF for
providing the funds to enable this upgrade to take place.
The old machines and programs will still have to be used
until the website group becomes familier with the new
laptops and software.
A very small number of pages may be inaccessible during our attempts to merge two systems for which we apologise in advance.
- 27.04.2017 - Three County Junior School photos: Mr Garley and Mr White's classes from 1969 and the netball team of 1971-2 have been added to the Education section. A report of a serious clothing factory fire in 1913 is here.
- 24.04.2017 - A report about a Wallis's Mill wagon driver's fatal accident in 1902 can be found here and an ex-police sergeant's action that prevented a potential accident in 1957 is here Additions have been made to pages about the Boys' Brigade in 1939 and the Britannia Band in 1892.
- 14.04.2017 - A circa 1980/81 Christmas photograph from Meadowside Infants has been added to the Schooldays Gallery 3 page here. Thanks to the Burton Latimer Heritage Facebook Group, members have already supplied the names - but please check it out. Iris Sharman's recent award of the MBE is featured here in the People pages. A rather rose-tinted view of the life of the Northamptonshire "peasant" in 1872, which mentions Burton Latimer, is here in the History Section.
- 30.03.2017 - Burton Latimer Heritage Society now has a presence on Facebook! In an effort to bring our society, museum and website to a larger audience Linda Gregory has volunteered to administer our Facebook pages 'Burton Latimer Heritage'. Please take a look and join for day-to-day contact with fellow members. Ian hebden is working on the transition from our old Adobe GoLive web design program to the Xara program we bought last summer. To put it mildly, it's not without its problems!
- A photo of the Burton Latimer Britannia Workings Mens' Club 1907-8 football team has been added here in the Sport & Liesure pages.
- 07.03.2017 - Thanks to John Lack, additions have been made to a Council School Class 4 1951-2 photo here. How Burton Latimer celebrated the end of the Crimean War in 1856 is here in the Leisure Section.
- 10.02.2017 - A newspaper article on the license application of Mr Alfred Kitely in 1881 can be seen here in the Pubs and Clubs section. Some details about early district nurses have been added here in the Health introduction pages.
- 26.01.2017 - The surprising fact that Burton Latimer once had a Hockey Club is here in the Sport & Leisure pages and the sad case of George Cook, killed by a coal cart is here in the Crime & Emergency Services pages.
- 21.01.2017 - Kate Earl has kindly sent in several photographs from Meadowside School and updates to other photos for the 1986 - 91 years. Please take a look at the starred items in the School photos introduction page and add more names if you can please.
- 17.12.2016 - Fowl stealing from Home Farm, a drowning in the Ise Brook and an accident on a coal cart have been added to the Crime and Emergency Services index here Skating has been added to the Sport and Leisure Index here A disagreement at a Parish Council meeting about the Old Folks' Treat is here in the Church, Chapels and Charities Section. News of the museum's next exhibition "Below Stairs in Burton Latimer" is on the About Us page
- 01.12.2016 - Burton Latimer Cricket Club's Under 11's success earlier this year is here in the Sport & Leisure pages. A 1938-9 choir boys football team photograph given by Tony Dacre is here in the Football Teams section. Tony also found us an informal photograph of County Junior School teachers circa 1962, now on the Schooldays Remininscences page
- 24.11.2016 - A newspaper tribute to Malcolm Craddock, long-serving Burton Latimer C.C. player, is here in the Sport & Leisure pages and the account of a picnic at Drayton House is here in the same section.
- 17.11.2016 - A 'Rural Fete' to raise funds for the church restoration in 1868 (with many names) is here in the Sport & Leisure pages. A serious fire and a child's drowning at Burton Mills is here in the Crime and Emergency Services section.
- 10.11.2016 - Additions to the Sport & Leisure pages include a Hundred Years of Burton Latimer Cricket Club here and an account of an Old Folk's Treat in 1939 here.
- 03.11.2016 - More photographs have been added to the report on St. Mary's C of E School trip to London in 1953 (below). Newspaper articles featuring ironstone mining accidents and the theft of some pork have been added and various other pages have been updated.
- 20.10.2016 - In 1953, a few days after the Coronation, pupils from St. Mary's C of E School went on an outing to London to look at the decorations on the route of the procession. A booklet of instructions was produced which is here in the Education section.The Wills of Thomas Sudborough, cordwainer, and Robert Capps, yeoman, have been added to the collection of Burton Latimer Wills in the Genealogy Section. Both were substantial property owners in the late 18th and early 19th century.
- 13.10.2016 - Boyhood reminiscences of Bert Hodson and Arthur Toseland, two Burton Latimer emigrants to Canada, reported in 1938, are here in the People Section. Details about PCs Allen and Underwood have been added to the police references here
- 06.10.2016 - Max Smith has supplied nearly all the names for Mrs. Phillips' 1993 Meadowside Infants class here A court case concerning the theft of a seed cake is here in the Crime section together with a report on a glove-fight at the Waterloo Victory Inn in 1897 here
- 28.09.2016 - An article from the Northampton Mecury of 1869 describing an assault and robbery in the Red Cow has been added here in the Crime Section. Additional photographs have been added to the Police photo-gallery here and a newspaper report on the opening of the Wesleyan Chapel in 1890 has been added to the Methodist pages in the churches and chapels section here
- 28.07.2016 - Meadowside Infants School photographs of Mrs Pearson's and Miss Hardwick's classes can be found with red stars in a link from the School Photograph Introduction pages here and a photo gallery of Burton Latimer policemen is here in the Crime Section
- 30.06.2016 - An advertised auction of the Dukes Arms in 1890 detailing the pub and surrounds can be seen here in the Dukes Arms page of the Pubs & Clubs section. The wills of William Edey, David and James Miller, and a Declaration by Martha Miller have been added - go to the Wills pages in the Geneaology section
- 15.06.2016 - Dozens of names gleaned from a programme for the 1939 Carnival, Parade, Sports & Gala Day have been added here in the Sport & Leisure Section. The 1814 will of Thomas Coleman, blacksmith, who lived near The Cross has yielded some interesting facts about that part of Burton Latimer. The Heritage Society has aquired dozens of old documents connected with that part of the town which will appear on this website in due course.
- 29.04.2016 - A photo of Miss Leach's class from the early 1950s, one of several passed to us by Faith Jakes, can be found here in the Education Section. There are more to follow. A newspaper report on an art exhibition at the Dukes Arms pub in 1982 can be found here in the Pubs and Clubs section
- 21.04.2016 - Two newspaper reports on the annual Burton Latimer flower show held at the Britannia Club, can be found here on the "Brit" home page which is located in the Pubs and Clubs Section
- 14.04.2016 - Interesting details about the economics of running a windmill are contained in a report on Thomas Eady's claim against the Kettering, Thrapston & Huntingdon Railway Company here
- 30.03.2016 - A newspaper report on members of the Britannia Working Men's Club winning a national competition can be found on the "Brit" home page here and near-fatal accident in 1939 involving a deep well at the "Horse & Groom" is recorded in the Pubs and Clubs Section here
24.03.2016 - Adam Begley has added his name to the St. Mary's Infants 1978-9 photograph here but many. many more names are needed and the Infant Welfare page has been re-vamped here
- 18.03.2016 - The demolition of the old rectory in the 1970s created a great deal of public anger which was reflected in a series of letters to the press here in the Churches Section. The exploits of a man described by a magistrate as "Burton Latimer's Stormy Petrel" is here in the Crime Section
- 11.03.2016 - A 1969 newspaper article reporting on the first civic ball to be held for a number of years can be found here in the Sport and Leisure Section. The tale of a troublesome 1933 schoolboy is here in the Crime and Emergency Services pages. The History pages have an account of how the town acquired 'The Poplars' for its council offices here
- 25.02.2016 - An unusual 1908 accident between a donkey-drawn barrel organ and a car is here in the Transport section. Vicki Simms (nee Ainge) has supplied many more names for Council Infants School classes in the early 1960s - look at the School & Class Photos introduction & index in the Education Section
- 11.02.2016 - The Burton Latimer Racing Pigeon Club's 1953 annual dinner is reported here in the Leisure section. A report to a Commission on the employment of children in agriculture is here in the Education section together with more 1980s Meadowside School photographs here. A case concerning thefts from the Burton Latimer osier beds on the River Ise is here in the Crime section.
- 04.02.2016 - Several ET photographs and articles about East Lea School in the 1980s are here in the Education section; details of gas main work in 1894 are here in the History & Development section and how the 'Durham Boys' came to Burton in the 1930s is here in the People section.
- 28.01.2016 - A court case involving a one-eyed ferret and another involving two chapel-goers have been added to the Crime section and some photographs of Meadowside School events in the 1980s are here in the Education section
- 21.01.2016 - Southern High Street, Finedon Road and 'New Town' have been added to the pages about changes to the High Street here in the History & Development section and the theft of Maziak's Ltd.'s iron mascot's head is here in the crime section
14.01.2016 - Barber Doug Benford features in a Evening Telegraph article from 1980 that has been added to the retail section here. A letter to a newspaper complaining about the Post Office in 1834 is here in the Transport section
- 06.01.2016 - Thanks to Alan Griffin and John Bewers, several names have been added to the 1972 Alumasc group photograph here. In the People pages, Trevor Cooper has added the story of how his family came to Burton Latimer here and there are tributes to Arthur T Miller, organist and choirmaster here.
- 29.12.2015 - Details of the museum's first 2016 exhibition are on the About Us page. An allotment holder's claim against the Urban District Council is here in the Agriculture section
10.12.2015 - Four nostalgic 1950s programmes from the Electric Palace Cinema have been added to the Sport & Leisure pages here; in the same section here is a report of a group of young men in 1936 described as "The Crazy Eight"; a case involving "a dishonest navvie" is here and an arsonist here in the Crime Section
03.12.2015 - Details of a Liberal win in a County Council election in 1892 is here in the History section
|To read the project news for the years 2014 & 2015 click here
|To read the project news for the years 2012 & 2013 click here
|To read the project news for the years 2010 & 2011 click here
|To read the project news for the year 2009 click here
|To read the project news for the years 2007 & 2008, click here
|To read the project news for the years 2005 & 2006, click here