|Article compiled by John Meads|
The Barlow family, which played a major role in the development of retail trade and business in Burton Latimer in the second half of the 19th century and first half of the 20th century, originated in Rothwell. John Barlow, a builder, moved from Rothwell in the late 1860s and his cousin Charles, after serving an apprenticeship at Ernest Lewin's Burton Latimer shop at The Cross, bought it and moved here about the time of his marriage to Deborah Sharpe in 1877.
John Barlow 1851 - 1903
In 1870, John Barlow married Sarah Ball, the daughter of a Burton Latimer mason, Thomas Ball. They went on to have eight children:
In the 1901 census, John was a self-employed builder and his two eldest sons were bricklayers.
Charles Barlow 1857 - 1923
In 1877, at St. Mary’s Parish Church, Charles married Deborah Maria Sharpe. Charles and Deborah had six children:
1879 Frank butcher - married Flavilla Cook in 1903 Died 1948.
He had four sons:
Frank Geoffrey born 1904 married Dorothy M Cox in 1930
Ralph born 1906 married Constance Evelyn Goode in 1931. Died 1989.
Charles Stanley born 1908 managed a farm, then moved to
Philip W. born 1917 married Cynthia Goode 1953
1882 Alfred grocer - married Edith Elizabeth Quincey, a milliner in 1909; both of them ran adjacent shops in the High Street
1886 Arthur Edwin - butcher - married Betsy A Stimson 1910 - moved to
1888 Harold married Mildred Westley in 1916
1891 Daisy married Frederick Poll in 1919 died in middle-age.
In the parish register at the time of his marriage, Charles Barlow was described as a grocer and draper, his father a builder and Deborah’s father, William Sharpe, was described as a grocer. William Sharpe and his family lived in the High Street in an old farmhouse, to which a shop had been added, the garden and orchard of which were later used as the site for building the school. In 1881, Charles and Deborah were living at The Cross where his family were to continue in business until the early 1960s. Some time after Deborah’s father’s death, Charles took over the shop from her mother and it was known as Barlow’s No: 2 Store. It was later to become a dairy.
All the time his businesses were growing, Charles Barlow was heavily involved in local government. This started with membership of the Board of Guardians from 1881, membership of the Parish Council from when it was created in 1894, membership of the Kettering District Council and also
He was chairman of the board of management of the
All these achievements were described in a beautifully illustrated Tribute in the form of a leather-bound book which was circulated around Burton Latimer in 1914 and was signed by over 500 people.
He started his married life living at The Cross, probably over the shop, but moved to The Yews in
Following the death of Deborah in 1920, he presented an organ to the Baptist Chapel in her memory. There is also a memorial in the Chapel, placed there by his fellow deacons to record his work for many years as the Church’s treasurer.