Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Article compiled from material currently held at the museum.

The Thatcher's Arms

The Thatcher's Arms originated in the 18th Century. At one time it was officially designated a beer house and was not allowed to open on a Sunday, presumably because of its proximity to the Baptist Chapel.

Picture of the interior of a village inn dated 1872, thought to be that of The Thatcher's Arms.
This picture appeared in The Graphic dated 8th June 1872. The article was concerned with the decline in agriculture and featured pictures of the interiors and exteriors of several local agricultural dwellings. This one is simply entitled "Interior of village inn, Burton Latimer", but is thought to be that of The Thatcher's Arms.

The earliest written evidence we have relating to the premises is an entry in the 1871 census which lists Thomas Croxen as being the licensee. Four years later an article appeared in the Nothampton Mercury dated October 1875 detailing a murder following a disturbance which originated in the bar (to read about this incident, click here).

In 1881 Frederick Miller took over as licensee and his family kept the premises until 1932. By 1936 Walter Henry Turner had taken over and according to Kellys Directory was still there in 1940. Henry Turner had previously been steward at the Burton Latimer Working Men's Club, Finedon Street ("The Rack").

Stan Davis was the last landlord at The Thatchers Arms. He described himself on advertisements for the pub as “Stan Davis A.B.A. Finalist”. Research seems to show that he boxed as a welterweight between 1947 and 1949, mostly in London as he came from Walworth. He took part in 22 bouts, winning 17 and losing 5. It is not known which year he took part in the A.B.A. Championship.

Trading continued until about 1957 when The Thatchers Arms was converted into a private residence.

Coloured postcard showing the Thatcher's Arms dated 1905.
The Thatcher's Arms seen from The Cross - 1905
This coloured picture postcard depicts the premises (with the church spire seen behind it) on the corner of Church Street and Meeting Lane. The adjoining buildings, which have now gone, were the home and smithy of the blacksmith William Blake.



1905 Photograph of the Miller Family, keepers of The Thatcher's Arms for 50 years.
Frederick Miller and Family - 1897
Between them, Frederick and Mary Miller kept the Thatcher's Arms for 50 years. Frederick died in 1912 and his widow carried on as licensee until her death aged 82 in 1932. Their eldest son Arthur G Miller is standing at the back in the middle. He had one of the area's leading decorating businessess and was a prominent councillor.
Photograph showing the Thatcher's Arms 1905.
This photograph dated 1905 shows a noticeboard between the middle and far windows which contains the words:"NB Closed on Sundays".

Frederick and Mary Miller are pictured outside the premises talking to Alfred Turner who is delivering coal for Ellis & Everard. Alfred was killed in 1916 when his horse bolted in Station Road and a wheel ran over him, causing fatal injuries.



Advertisement for The Thatchers Arms found in a programme from the Electric Palace dated about 1956.
This advertisement appeared in a programme from the Electric Palace dated about 1956




Modern photograph of The Thatcher's Arms, now a private residence, as viewed from the war memorial. Modern  photograph of the premises formerly known as The Thatcher's Arms situated close to the war memorial.
The Thatchers Arms, now a private residence since the late 1950s, pictured in modern photographs.
Above left,as viewed from the war memorial; above right, pictured with the church spire seen behind it.

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Pubs & Clubs Index