Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page

Boys' Brigade 1939

Burton Latimer Boys Brigade - Baptist Chapel, 1926

Harry Morris, Dennis Hornsby, Dennis Abbot, Dennis Long, Les Lovell, (adult) Charlie Cox, (small boy) Harry Johnson, Maurice Payne, Reggie Abbott, Rev A A MacNaughton (Baptist Minister 1938-46), in front of Minister - Albert Lovell, Frank Wright
Seated - Frank Tailby, Dennis Neville, Gordon York, .............., Vic Skelham

The Boys' Brigade was founded in Glasgow in 1883. It holds the distinction of being the first of all the uniformed organisations for boys and girls which have appeared over the last hundred and fifty years.

This photo was taken outside the Baptist Chapel in Meeting Lane and was taken on the occasion of the dedication of some new drums. The Evening Telegraph of 12 April 1939 reported:


Burton Latimer Baptist Church Ceremony

On Sunday morning the 1st Burton Latimer company of the Boys' Brigade paraded at Burton Latimer Baptist Church, and at the close of the service two side drums and a bass drum (the latter presented by Capt. F.W. Tailby) were dedicated for use.
The occasion also marked the departure of the Company's former captain, Mr. V.L. Skelham, who recently took up an appointment at Sheerness, Kent. Mr. Skelham was presented with an inscribed silver pencil.

Before dismissal the newly-formed band sounded the General Salute.

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Sport & Leisure Index