Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page
Article from local newspaper transcribed by Sally Crane

End of the Line for Somebody's Station

Photograph of Burton Latimer Station c1957
Burton Latimer Station pictured about 1957

It’s just forty years ago since Burton Latimer station closed down … and so ended an argument with a neighbouring village.  For although it was known as Burton Latimer Station, the people of Isham claimed it really belonged to them.  To add to the confusion, the signal box was in Pytchley.

After its closure in 1950, the station quickly became derelict with grass pushing its way thorough concrete and the building looking deserted and forlorn.  This picture was taken in 1957. By then nobody wanted to claim it.  Not Burton…not Isham…not Pytchley.

To read some of the later history of the building, click here

To read some personal memories of the station, click here

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Previous Page