Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page

Mason's Garage

In the 1920s, George Mason, who had been running a cycle repair business and filling station from a property near the Cross, subsequently occupied by Arthur Turner Electricals, purchased an entire former farm site in the High Street, and from 1927 to 1961, he ran a motor business there.  On the area near the former Cottage Homes stood an orchard and a tennis court. The former small barn which fronted the High Street was converted into a cycle repair shop, and for a while, cycles were sold and repaired there.  In the early part of his time there, George Mason (commonly nicknamed “Spazzer” – possibly a corruption of “spanner”) also interested himself in radio.  He sold sets and kept a stock of spare parts. On Sundays, he was a regular at the Mission Room and sang in the choir there for over 60 years.

The garage forecourt 1947
The garage shop 1952

With the increase in car ownership after the Second World War, the business began to expand, and a new forecourt was built on the site of the old orchard and tennis court, with new sales and repair shops just behind it. George lived with his family in a house on the same site. This was later replaced in the 1960s by a bungalow at the rear of the site. It was a family business involving , his son Ken and his wife Constance, his daughter Doreen and his son-in-law, Alan Olechnowicz.

Early 1960's - L to R: Alan Olechnowicz (son in law), Constance Mason (wife of Ken), Eddie York (mechanic), George Mason, and Ken Mason.
Aerial view of the garage site in 1984

In 1961, George Mason died, and the family sold the site to the Co-op, who continued the business with a new forecourt and sales offices under the name of Regency Cars and Regency Garage.

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Transport & Haulage Index