A special peal of bells, rung by Burton Latimer Parish Church bellringer’s on Saturday, marked the 25th anniversary of the induction of the rector, the Rev. R.W.Sharpley, to the parish.
Mr. Sharpley moved to this Diocese from the Diocese of Oxford in September, 1937. He was ordained deacon in 1923 and priest in 1924, and was curate of Newport Pagnell and then Banbury, before becoming Vicar of Cropredy in 1929.
The peal was a Bob Major 5,056 changes and took three hours. It was rung by G. Watson (treble), Miss S. Staley (2nd), Miss C.Sharman (3rd), Mrs. G.Watsen (4th), Mr. Hall (5th), Mr. F.Crosier (6th), Mr.M. Staley (7th) and Mr.M.Coleman (tenor). Mr Coleman, of Rothwell, conducted the peal. He is the branch secretary of the Diocesan Guild of Church Bell-ringers. Miss Sharman comes from Addington, Mr. Hall from Kettering, and Mr. Crosier from Cranford.