Mr. White, who taught at Burton Latimer County Junior School and its successor Meadowside Junior School, came to
Burton Latimer in 1948. He had served in R.A.F. Bomber Command during the Second World War until being wounded,
after which he served as a liaison officer at the Grafton Underwood U.S.A.A.F. base for the remainder of the war.
After demobilisation he trained at St. Peter's Training College, Peterborough and in 1948 took up a post at Burton Latimer
County Mixed School, as it was known then. When the school transfered to the Meadowside site he became its deputy head
retiring through ill-health in 1979 and sadly dying soon afterwards.
He was a very well-liked and popular teacher. In the classroom he was strict but fair and his pupils were encouraged to work
with their hands as well as their brains - his craftwork classes were legendary. This could be seen in the models with which
his pupils regularly took prizes in district competitions and were always keen to display on parents' evenings. He was a pioneer
in the use of audio-visual aids and was one of the teachers responsible for inaugurating the first such service in local schools.
Mr. White was a school representative of the National Union of Teachers and a committee member for many years.
Early in his career he took over the position of secretary-treasurer of the Northamptonshire County Schools Football
Association and was county representative of the English Schools Football Association. He had a long association with the
Burton Latimer Scout Group and was its chairman and a senior trustee. In 1971 he was awarded the Chief Scout's
Commendation for Good Service.
In March 1980, two almond trees were planted in the grounds of Meadowside Junior School in his memory.