Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page
Written by John and Jan Meads

Burton Latimer 1901 Census


In 1901, for the first time, Burton Latimer was divided into two parts for the census. There had been substantial growth in the ten years since the previous census and the authorities must have realised that the task would have been too much for one person to deal with effectively. As in 1891, one of the enumerators was James B. Nutt, clerk to the Parish Council, rent, rates and tax collector who lived at 44 High Street . The other enumerator was John T. Browning, superintendent at the Cottage Homes, which was the children’s annex of Kettering Workhouse; he lived at 159 High Street in what had been the first building used for that purpose until an extension was provided next door.

As in previous transcriptions, we have added a first column reference number. This is our indexing, not part of the official census. However, by using it for the demarcation of each house or household, it allows the names to be re-sorted into alphabetical order for easy location and to remain cross-referenced to the household in the original census list.

The vast majority of entries under ‘Relationship to Head of Household’, ‘Marital Status’ and ‘Occupation’ are listed as in the original return.

A new element of the 1901 census is the information regarding employment status. In effect, the census shows whether a person was an employer or employee, working ‘on own account’ or for someone else, and if they were working at home. For example, by this means it is possible to see how many shoe workers were working at home in their own workshops or how many shopkeepers there were.

Under ‘Place of Birth’, the original return combined the town or village with the county, but we have separated them and used the Chapman County Code to identify counties.

Description of Enumeration District

Boundary of Enumeration District – Part 1.

Bound a ‘Part of’ the South by the Middle of Station Road on the West by Middle of Kettering & Higham Ferrers Main Road from the corner of Station Road to the Parish Boundary and on the North East & other part of South by the Parish Boundary.

Contents of Enumeration District: Every house on North Side of Station Road commencing at Station House & Including Mr. Ambler’s New House [Netherfield, Polwell Lane], Kettering Road, Bakehouse Lane, Cranford Road, including Mill House & Cottages; Four Lodges on the Wold, Round House & Cottages, Church Road, Meeting Lane, East Side of High St., Croxen’s Yard, and Finedon Road, and three Lodges on the Finedon Road.

Boundary of Enumeration District - Part 2.

Bounded on the North by Middle of Station Road on the East by the Middle of the Kettering & Higham Ferrers Main Road and on the South and West by the Parish Boundary.

Contents of Enumeration District: Every House on the South side of the Station Road the West side of Kettering Road and West side of High Street, the whole of Duke Street, Alexandra Street, Finedon Street, Reesby’s Estate [Newman Street, Roseberry Street & Spencer Street] , Finedon Station Road and one Lodge and Mill House.



Unless specified below as otherwise, all street names used in the 1901 Census correspond to their modern equivalents. Asan aid to those who are not familiar with the town, this is a list of streets and locations which have disappeared or are different today.

1901 Location Modern Location
Bakehouse Lane Still exists, though few original cottages survive - runs north from Kettering Road to Church Street
Burton Wold An area of common land in the southeastern part of the parish. Enclosed in the early 1800s.
Burton Wold Lodges Four outlying farms situated on the Wold occupied by tenant farmers.
Church Road Now known as Church Street
Cottage Homes In 1901, 159 High Street. Used by the Kettering Union Workhouse as an annex to accommodate children. A new building, now 163 & 165, was built later that year.
Finedon Road For the purposes of the 1901census, the western side of Finedon Road started at the corner of Pigott's Lane and the eastern side started at the cottages below the 'new' Cottage Homes.
Finedon Road Lodges Two farms on the main road to Finedon. Downing's Lodge is still there (now known as Buccleuch Farm) but Glendon Lodge, which was on the opposite side of the A6, has gone.
Scotts Charity Cottages Site now occupied by St Crispin Close, off Church Street.
Spring Gardens A row of cottages on the north side of Bakehouse Lane. Name adopted by modern development on same site.
Victoria Terrace On the north side of Station Road opposite the former Ideal Clothiers factory. The name can still be seen on 38 Station Road.
Windmill Cottages Cottages situated on east side of Cranford Road adjacent to the windmill, which was demolished early 1900s. Now between the by-pass and the A14. Some still exist.

Our column headings:

1 Household number 4 Surname 7 Age (male) 10 Employer, Worker or Own Account 13 Place of birth
2 Road, Street, etc. 5 Relation to head of family 8 Age (female) 11 If working at home 14 Disability
3 Forename 6 Marital condition 9 Occupation 12 County of birth

1901 Census Surname Index
1901 Census Household Index

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Genealogy Index