Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page

Burton Latimer Post Office - 1850 to 2014

For a number of years, Burton latimer had no post office of its own, and had to rely on a runner service to and from Kettering. As the town expanded, a number of the local population found this unsatisfacory, as can be seen here in this letter written by a frustrated resident in 1834.

45 Church St, 1914 , when it was then a butchers shop

Burton Latimer's first post office finally opened in 1850 and was ran by Joseph Moore from a premises at No. 45 Church Street. After his death in 1892 it was operated for a short time by Ernest Weston, then John Lambert and then a Miss Cliffe.

101 High Street, 1914. Here it is a grocers & confectioners, it is now Latimer Opticians

In 1902 the post office moved to the High Street, for a short time at No. 101 and then at No. 117, newly built in 1903 by Thomas N Charles.

117 High St (W.A. Charles), 1948. Here shown as a general store, now it is "Grandads Toys" (currently standing empty)

In 1920, Mr & Mrs Jack Dacre moved in and ran the post office there until 1959 when the premises were sold. The post office then moved across the road to part of the Barclays Bank building at No. 94 High Street where Mrs Dacre remained post mistress until her retirement after 55 years' service (for an article on Mrs Dacre, click here). The post office then moved to No. 10 Churchill Way as part of Harrison's newsagents shop. It remained here until 2014 when it moved to the "One Stop" shop at No. 6 Churchill Way.

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the History & Development Index