Click here for the Glossary page
Click here for the main index of the Burton Latimer Heritage Society site
Click here to return to the previous page

Pubs and Clubs

Photograph of the Red Cow in 1912. Photograph of the Red Cow taken in 1929.
Above left: The Red Cow in 1912. Frederick William Dicks, the licensee, with his wife Edith and eldest son Edward John (Ted). In commercial directories for 1906, 1910 & 1914 Frederick was also described as town crier. Ted Dicks was a window cleaner in later life. Just before this photograph was taken the sign had been removed from a post in the street and hung on the wall.
Above right: The Red Cow in 1929. Frank Clarke (second from right) was licensee. By this time it had been repainted, the dark shade being a crimson colour. This former High Street coaching inn closed as a pub in 1956.

Photograph of the Britannia Club taken in the 1930s.
The Britannia Club 1930s. The stone over the entrance reads: "established 1894". This building was opened in 1899 and since then its front has been extended forward to provide more space.
Photograph of The Waterloo Victory Inn.
The Waterloo Victory Inn. An inn-cum-farm just inside the parishof Burton Wold on the Finedon to Thrapston Road. In the mid 1800s it became a notorious haunt of gamblers and criminals from miles around and lost its license. In the 1890s it became a social club but its reputation did not improve and it had to close. It then reverted to just being a farm and is now better known as The Round House. To read more about this building, click here.

Photograph of the Waggon & Horses, dated 1900s, showing the narrowness of Kettering Road. Photograph of the Waggon & Horses in recent times.
Left: The Waggon & Horses is shown in the middle of this photograph taken in the early 1900s. Kettering Road was quite narrow at this time and was not widened until the 1950s.
Right: The Waggon & Horses in the present day. It was put up for auction in 1976 and sold as a going concern, but at the present time it is unoccupied. To read about its auction details (1976) and current demise (2007), click here.

Photograph of the premises formerly known as The Bell, which closed in about 1810.
The Bell. The arrow in the photograph (taken in 1969) indicates the premises formerly known as The Bell on High Street. After its closure in about 1810 it was converted into two houses. The shop shown to the left of the premises was Mabel Piper's grocery shop.

The Duke's Arms in the early 1900s A night-time shot of the Duke's Arms, taken in the 1940s
Left: The Duke's Arms in the 1900s, advertised as "Good Stabling" and "Good Accommodation for Cyclists." Alfred Newman, followed by his widow Sophia, were licencees from 1877 to 1903. The premises was later reduced to two stories by a fire.
Right: The Duke's Arms in the mid 1940s, showing the rebuilding after the fire. The landlord Albert Cooke has put out the flags in celebration, possibly of VJ Day in 1945 or the Royal Wedding in 1947. To the right of the premises was Phyl Papworth's grocery and confectionery shop, which was demolished in the 1960s together with the others in that row.

Coloured postcard showing the Thatcher's Arms dated 1905. Photograph showing the Thatcher's Arms 1905.
The Thatcher's Arms. Both the postcard on the left and the photograph on the right are dated 1905. The licensee at this time was Frederick Miller. The right hand photograph shows Frederick and Mary Miller outside the premises talking to Alfred Turner who is delivering coal for Ellis & Everard. Alfred was killed in 1916 when his horse bolted in Station Road and a wheel ran over him, causing fatal injuries.

Click here to return to the Main Index
Click here to return to the Pubs & Clubs Index