Photo taken when in the ownership of Arthur Gilby. The recorded history of this shop goes back at least 150 years to when it was owned by Henry
Whitworth. In its time it has been a butchers shop in addition to its role as an outdoor beerhouse and grocers shop.
This shop at 45 Church Street was Burton's first post office. When this
photo was taken c1912 it was a butcher's shop belonging to the Capps
family. Fred Capps is seen here with Marjorie Capps and Herbert Redhead. The post office letter-box can still be seen in the wall today.
This photo was taken during the
alterations to 2/4 Kettering Road.
It shows the ancient dividing wall with 6 Kettering Road, shop 10.
Seen here is Mrs. Ellen Talbutt
who kept this grocery shop on
the corner of Cranford Road
and Bird Street for many years
Mr. & Mrs. Dickens who kept the
same shop in the 1960s, inevitably
known as 'Dickies' by all who
June Smith seen here in
1963 behind the counter
at Smith's Paper shop which
she ran with her husband
This 1972 photograph shows a Bedford van parked in
the High Street opposite the Co-op butchery (Shop
22) on one corner of Pioneer Avenue with the Church
Street Autos car showroom on the opposite corner.
This early 1900s photo taken from The Cross shows
Cooper's bakehouse on the right and James' General Stores
(Shop 31) in the centre. It would appear that the ground
floor of the nearest building on the right was later demolished
to create a covered access to the rear of Barlow's shops.
Shop 6: The Norton family were bakers in the town from 1884 until about 1937. The premises were on the corner of Station Road and Kettering Road which became known as Norton's Corner.This c1914 photo includes one of the horses he hired out to the Parish Council to pull its fire engine.
Shop 6: Tom Norton, children and bakery staff c1938. L-R: Bert Craddock,Tom Norton, Betty Norton,
George Craddock, Harry Norton and Albert Ward. Nortons also had shops in Duke Street and in
Newland St. Kettering