To read about the Society's DVD, click here.
|To help find the information you may be looking for, try our
- 03.11.2011 - The People section has a feature on Phil Mason, the local author and publisher.
- 02.11.2011 - The Industry section now has a feature on Weetabix.
- 26.10.2011 - The History section has an update on the Street Names of Burton. The feature on the Kettering Road area has also been updated. Thanks to Anne Hull (nee Papworth), there is a new photo of her family's shop in the High Street.
- 12.10.2011 - Thanks to Anne Hull (nee Papworth), several of the recently published class photos of the Council Infants and Junior Schools from the 1950s have been updated with ewxtra names, and a new phot has been added.
- 09.10.2011 - Thanks to Richard & Margaret Downes (nee Stump), more names have been added to the 1947 photo of Miss Stokes' Class
- 05.10.2011 - The About Us page has been redesigned to cover the Society's new focus, the new Museum and the revised opening times
- 04.10.2011 - Thanks to Anne Hill (nee Cosby) more names have been added to a photo of Miss Ireson's Class in 1969.
- 04.10.2011 - Thanks again to Chris Buckler (nee Clement) and Judith Smith (nee Childs) three new Council Junior School class photos are now available.
- 03.10.2011 - Thanks to Zoe Downes, a 1947 photo of Miss Stokes' Class has an additional name.
- 02.10.2011 - Thanks again to Chris Buckler (nee Clement) and Judith Smith (nee Childs) another new Council Infants School class photo is now available.
- 31.08.2011 - Thanks to Chris Buckler (nee Clement) and Judith Smith (nee Childs) another new Council Infants School photo is now available. Thanks to Anita Underwood (nee Smith), Richard Houghton, and Brett Kingsnorth, extra names have been added to three other class photos from St Mary's Junior School, the Council Junior School and Meadowside Junior School.
- 16.08.2011 - Thanks to Marilyn Brown and Johnnie Johnson, a new Council Infants School class photo has been added to the archive. Patricia Sandos (nee Dew) has also been kind enough to correct the year on several of her old class photos.
- 20.07.2011 - Thanks to Celia Harris (nee Addis) a couple of corrections have been made to a Council Junior School class photo, and she has added a few memories to the schooldays reminiscence page.
- 09.07.2011 - Thanks to Katie Rees, the final name has been added to a photo in one of the Schooldays Galleries. Thanks to Chris Buckler (nee Clement) the history of the shop at 9 Newman Street has been updated.
- 23.06.2011 - The History section has two new features. There is a comprehensive article on all the evidence found of Roman settlement in the town. The "Changing Face of the High Street" series has now been completed with details of all the changes which have taken place in the Kettering Road area.
- 11.06.2011 - In a major new feature for the site, the Sport & Leisure section now carries the Society's archive of cricket team photos, going back to the 1890s.
- 10.06.2011 - The Education section has a new item on the retirement in 1973 of Mr Pentelow, headmaster of the Council Junior School.
- 06.06.2011 - The site map and the databases for the site search engine have been updated to include all amendments and additions to the site made since January 2011.
- 24.05.2011 - The Sport & Leisure section has a new feature on the history of Bowls in the town, including many photos.
- 24.05.2011 - The last missing name on a town football team photo has been added.
- 21.05.2011 - The Pubs & Clubs section has an update on The Bell Inn.
- 12.05.2011 - The Charities section has been updated with a feature on Benevolent & Friendly Societies. Thanks to Robert Thurland, corrections and additions have been made to various class photos.
- 21.04.2011 - The Town Trail feature has been updated with extra information and links to features on the site posted since the Trail was originally launched.
- 18.04.2011 - The Welfare Services section has a new feature on Nurse Margaret Atkinson. The Charities section has deatils of land holding by local charities, and a report of a financial crisis in 1857. The Retail section carries updated details of various shops in Burton.
- 15.04.2011 - Thanks to Cassie Wardle and Matt Gable, many more names have been added to a Meadowside Junior School photo of Mrs Marks' Class from 2000-1, and other people have added names to other class photos too, from other times and schools.
- 16.03.2011 - The Industry section has a new feature on "She" Products. The Churches, Chapels & Charities section has a detailed overview of Burton's Ancient Parish Charities. The article on the Meads family in the People & Families section has been updated.
- 15.03.2011 - Pat Reay has supplied all the missing names for a 1964-5 class photo of Mr White's Class at the County Junior School.
- 04.03.2011 - The Retail & Local Businesses section has a furtherl feature on local tradesmen and businesses in the last century.
- 17.02.2011 - The Retail & Local Businesses section has an additional feature on local tradesmen and businesses in the last century.
- 09.02.2011 - Click here for details of the event "An Afternoon to Remember" on Feb 24th
- 05.02.2011 - A couple of names have been added to the Meadowside School Football Team photo from 1979-80. Thanks to extra information suppied by Ken Hartill, details of the Fire Station and the Emergency Services Personnel have been updated in the Crime, Emergency & Welfare Services section.
- 02.02.2011 - The site map and the databases for the site search engine have been updated to include all amendments and additions to the site made since August 2010.
- 02.02.2011 - The Pubs & Clubs section has final updates on former licensees of several of the pubs.
- 26.01.2011 - The People section has a large feature on the Miller family.The Agriculture section has further items in the feature on Allotments.
- 21.01.2011 - The Property section has a new feature on The Wold. The Pubs & Clubs section has updates on several of the pubs, clubs and licensees.
- 14.01.2011 - Tracy Carter has supplied 16 missing names for a class photo of Mrs Cleaver's Class at Meadowside Infants School in 1977. Sally Williams has added her contribution to the Schooldays Reminiscence Page.
- 08.01.2011 - The final set of school class photos has been added - mostly from the Council Junior School in the 1960s, but there are also updates and new donations for other schools. The society's whole archive is now on line, and so we can only add new photos if copies are donated to us. If you have any which we are missing, please consider sending us a copy, with or without names. We would like to build up a complete archive from 1950 to the present day, and avoid the many gaps we have for the first half of the last century and which we will probably never now fill.
- 28.12.2010 - The Transport section now has a general introduction to road and rail transport in the district.
- 09.12.2010 - The Transport section now carries an item on mail coaches.
- 20.11.2010 - The Education section now has a new feature, carrying the Society's current holdings of school sports team photographs.
- 19.11.2010 - The Agriculture section has a photos added to the features on Butlin & Turner in the Smallholdings and Wartime Survey sections, plus new items in the feature on Allotments.
- 16.11.2010 - The listing in the Book of Remembrance in the Churches section has been updated.
- 15.11.2010 - Thanks to Rob Jolley, a large number of names have been added to the feature in Schooldays Gallery 7 on East Leas School's Venture Week in 1978.
- 03.11.2010 - The Sport & Leisure section has a new photogallery feature on Gala/Parade Days in Burton in the 1970s and 80s. The Pubs & Clubs section has a new listing of Licensees in the town, plus new photos in the features on The Dukes Arms and the BL Working Men's Club. The Property section has a new feature on The Yews, which is also cross-linked to several other sections.
- 02.11.2010 - Thanks to material supplied by Johnnie Johnson, the War section contains the transcription of a newspaper article on his father's account of the ramming of a German U-boat in 1942.
- 15.10.2010 - The class photo gallery in the Education section has had a large update with a number of new photos and added names for the Council Infants and Junior Schools in the 1950s and 60s, plus Meadowside Junior School in the 1990s
- 11.10.2010 - The History section now carries a wonderful article by Bill Watson on his early life at 46b High Street. Bill has kindly supplied a number of family photos to illustrate the feature, which has links to many other pages and features on the site. We hope others will be inspired to follow his example. We stand by our vision that this site exists to help preserve personal stories and aspects of Burton's history which would otherwise be lost. The Sport & Leisure section also now carries a feature on the "Hurdy Gurdy" bridge.
- 09.10.2010 - The Agriculture section has a photos added to the feature on Herbert's Farm in the 1941-43 Wartime Survey section. A photo has been added to shop 3 (71 Station Road) in the Shops-A part of the Retail section.
- 07.10.2010 - Thanks to Johnnie Johnson, new names have been added to features in the Pubs & Clubs section.
- 05.10.2010 - Thanks to Bill Watson, many names have been added to a class photo from the Council Infants School in 1961.
- 26.09.2010 - The Street Names of Burton in the History section has been updated.
- 23.09.2010 - The Agriculture section has a new feature on the Allotments of Burton Latimer. The Education section has the reproduction of a report on a Council School Variety Show in 1947, including many names.
- 15.09.2010 - Thanks to a donation from Diane Garbett (nee York) a new Council Junior School class photo from 1973 has been added.
- 26.08.2010 - The Pubs & Clubs section has a feature on the Liberal Club. A general introduction to the pubs and clubs of Burton has also been added. The Sport & Leisure section carries updates of several football team photos.
- 13.08.2010 - The site map and the databases for the site search engine have been updated to include all amendments and additions to the site made since April 15th.
- 13.08.2010 - Thanks to Reg Carvell, the last missing name has been added to a class photo from the Council Junior School in 1963.
- 12.08.2010 - In a major new feature for the site, the Sport & Leisure section now carries the Society's archive of football team photos, going back to the 1890s.
- 09.08.2010 - A slideshow/presentation on Burton's past is being held in October. Click here for details.
- 30.07.2010 - Details about the relocation of the Society's Heritage Museum plus news of other proposed developments can be found on the About Us page.
- 24.07.2010 - Thanks to a major contribution from Reg Carvell, most of the names have been supplied for a 1950s class photo from the Council Infants School.
- 12.07.2010 - The Pubs & Clubs section has two major new features on the Band Club in the High Street and the BL Working Men's Club in Finedon Street - both with numerous photos. The Agriculture section has two new features on farms and smallholdings, plus one update.
- 29.06.2010 - The Sport & Leisure section has a new photogallery feature on Gala/Parade Days in Burton, from 1948-1960. The Agriculture section has six new features on various farms and smallholdings.
- 10.06.2010 - The Agriculture section has an update on Hilly Farm, giving details of its sale in 1895
- 09.06.2010 - Thanks to Shannon Hindwood, various missing names have been completed on the class photo of Miss Rogers' Class in 2000-1 at Meadowside Junior School and Mrs Hardwick's Class in 2001-2 at Meadowside Infants.
- 03.06.2010 - The Agriculture section has four new features on farms.
- 23.05.2010 - Andrew Hudson has supplied some extra names and corrections to class photos of Mrs Smith's classes at Meadowside Juniors in the 1970s.
- 23.05.2010 - Thanks to Stewart Greenaway, various class photos from Meadowside Infants School in the 1980s have been updated with missing names. The Agriculture section has two new features on farms.
- 16.05.2010 - Thanks to Judith Keach (nee Farmer), Sharon Chambers (nee Glithero), and Rob Taylor, various class photos have been updated with missing names.
- 06.05.2010 - The Sport & Leisure section has a major new feature on the history of Gala/Parade Days in Burton, with photogalleries and listings of Gala Queens and Attendants. The Agriculture section now has several new and updated features on various farms and smallholdings.
- 26.04.2010 - Thanks to Andrew wright, Schooldays Gallery 2 has been updated with new names, and several class photos have also been updated.
- 15.04.2010 - The site map and the databases for the site search engine have been updated to include all amendments and additions to the site made since January 1st.
- 15.04.2010 - There have been further revisions of the class photo section of the site. We are very grateful to Melanie Pirie (nee Devine) for naming most of the children on a previously blank 1958 Council Infants class, and to Alan Francis for helping us revise the year order of a couple of class photos from St Mary's Junior School.
- 08.04.2010 - Thanks again to Alan Francis, the last three missing names on a 1961-2 class photo of St Mary's Junior School have now been completed.
- 01.04.2010 - There are two new major features in the Industry section. The story of Alumasc is now covered, accompanied by Sue Humphrey's memories of working in the office there in the 1970s. The section on the clothing industry now has the story of Hart & Levy's, also accompanied by a personal account of working life there - this time from Godfrey Bigley.
- 30.03.2010 - Alan Francis has kindly supplied all the missing names on the 1956-7 class photo mentioned below.
- 29.03.2010 - Thanks to Joan Linnitt (nee Payne) a class photo from St Mary's - originally donated as c.1958, and possibly a Junior School photo - has been accurately dated as an Infants School photo from 1956-7, and two further names have been added.
- 25.03.2010 - Thanks again to Joely Hanney, nearly all the names have been filled in for the class photo of Meadowside Junior School Class 5Y in 2000-1. The page on Burton's ironstone mining now carries a link to Alan Pack's site on the history of Irthlingborough's mine.
- 20.03.2010 - Thanks to Joely Hanney, all the names but one have been filled in for the class photo of Meadowside Junior School Class 5G in 2000-1.
- 12.03.2010 - Gaye Elliott (nee Gregory) has sent in an account of her short time in Burton in the mid-1950s. It is now available in the Education section.
- 04.03.2010 - The Agriculture section now has items on two farms which occupied part of the Wold: Talbutt's Farm and Wold Farm.
- 28.02.2010 - Details of the Society's new Exhibition can be found on the About Us page.
- 25.02.2010 - Because of a change of location for the museum in the near future, the Society is conducting a survey on its future role and the services it provides. Members will be balloted shortly, but for site visitors who are not members but who have taken an interest in this site and the work of the Society, and would like a chance to contribute to the debate, a web version of the form is available for download and return as an e-mail attachment. Click here for more details. This is your chance to give help shape the future of the Society! Responses by March 20th please.
- 25.02.2010 - The Agriculture section now has items on Home/Rectory Farm in Kettering Road and The Laurels Farm in Church Street. Another new class photo from the Council Junior School in the 1950s has been added. The Pubs & Clubs section has new photos in the features on The Britannia Club and the Conservative Club.
- 21.02.2010 - Thanks to Karon Coles (nee Osborne), more names have been added to the class photo of Mrs Tajzler's 1971 class at St Mary's Infants.
- 19.02.2010 - Thanks to Ron Carter, the feature on Banger Racing in the Sport & Leisure section has a photo of the Cranford Road site.
- 18.02.2010 - The History section has a brief report of the General Election of 1906 and the result for Burton Latimer. The Sport & Leisure section has an item on the Children's & Youth Council. The Agriculture section now has an item on Eady's Farm in the High Street.
- 16.02.2010 - Thanks to Beccy Carter and her father Ron, more names have been added to existing class photos from the Church School Juniors and Meadowside Infants, and through their kind generosity a new class photo from Meadowside Infants is also now available. The page on fixing the dates of the school years has also been updated.
- 12.02.2010 - Thanks to Caroline Mitchell (nee Pearson) the final names have been completed and the year confirmed for Mrs Watson's 1963 Class at the Council Infants School. See this and other class photos from the last century and the early years of this one.
- 05.02.2010 - The Sport & Leisure section has an item on the Children's & Youth Council.
- 29.01.2010 - The Agriculture section now has in item on Bungalow Farm in Station Road. The People section also has a new feature - John Downing Cockayne.
- 22.01.2010 - Thanks to Sue Humphrey (nee Abbott), a number of names have been added to several class photos from the 1950s for the Council Infants School.
- 20.01.2010 - The Agriculture section now has in item on Home Farm in the High Street, run by the Dentons. The ninth Photogallery in the Schooldays part of the Education section has also been updated with a new photo from 1908.
- 18.01.2010 - The twelfth Photogallery in the Schooldays part of the Education section is now online.
- 15.01.2010 - More new class photos and names updates from the Council Infants and Junior Schools in the 1950s & 60s have been added.
- 12.01.2010 - Four new class photos from the Council Junior School in the 1950s have been added.
- 09.01.2010 - The Property section has some linked articles about caravan sites in Burton, showing the known history and location of this form of residential provision.
- 04.01.2010 - The site map and the databases for the site search engine have been updated to include all amendments and additions to the site made since November 13th.
- 02.01.2010 - Thanks to the combined efforts of several members of the Gazeley family, a considerable number of names have been added to various class photos from the 1950s and 60s from St Mary's Junior School and the Council Infants School.
- 01.01.2010 - Tony Palmer has submitted a short article on his time at the County Infants School in the 1940s. The index to the Education section has also been reorganised in order to group information more logically and to enable easier access to the very popular features on class photos and memories of schooldays.
|To read the project news for the year 2009 click here
|To read the project news for the years 2007 & 2008, click here
|To read the project news for the years 2005 & 2006, click here